The sweetness of this slice is somewhat addictive! It has no added sugar, just natural sweetness from the dried fruit only, so it tastes fresh and light. Soak dried fruit in hot tea to make them soft in preparation for making the slice. Great for kid’s school lunches or as energy snack for sport teams.
½ cup dried pitted dates
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup sultanas
½ cup freshly made hot tea (I used Earl Grey)
1 cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ roasted unsalted almonds
How to make Date, Cranberry and Sultana Slice:
- Put dried dates, cranberries and sultanas in a heatproof bowl. Add hot tea. Leave to soak for a few hours – overnight until the fruits are soft and plump.
- Chop fruit and almonds. Grate orange rind and squeeze juice.
- Pre heat oven 180. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients, chopped fruit and nuts, orange rind and juice. Combine well.
- Spread in the baking tray. Press down with back of spoon and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.