Children and big children loooove this easy pasta dinner. Meatballs and orzo pasta are cooked together in tomato passata or pasta sauce. Serve with steamed greens and crusty bread. Bon appetit!
Ingredients (serve 3-4)
300g beef mince
1 slice of bread
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 small onion chopped
1 cup orzo pasta
1 X 400g tin pasta sauce (tomato) or 1 ½ cup passata or homemade tomato sauce
Dried herbs, garlic, red wine — optional
Grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves to garnish
How to create orzo pasta in tomato sauce with meatballs:
- Tear bread in small pieces and put in a bowl. Add milk to moisten. Add mince, chopped onion, egg, salt & pepper, herbs and garlic if using. Combine well and make into balls 2-3 cm diameter.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add meat balls and cook until browned all over.
- Pour pasta sauce. It the sauce is too thick, add some wine or/and water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add uncooked orzo pasta. Mix thoroughly and continue to cook for 8 minutes or pasta is cooked al dente.
- Garnish with fresh basil and plenty of Parmesan cheese.