It’s back to school for kiwi kids.
Preparing a healthy school lunch for the kids doesn’t have to be a chore. Here are some fresh tips to help your little ones get their 5+ a day.
Back to School Lunch Ideas:
• Load sandwiches up with vegetables: grated carrot, capsicum, sliced mushrooms and spinach. Add sliced cucumbers or baby spinach for crunch
• Add diced carrots, corn, silverbeet, onions and tomatoes to chop suey for a colourful lunch
• Make home made salsa with tomatoes, mangos, avocados, red onion, coriander and lime juice. Use as a dip or sandwich filling
• Fill vegetarian sushi with avocado, finely sliced carrots, red peppers, cucumber and silverbeet
• Use up left over potato salad, roast vegetables or summer salads, serve in air tight containers, add a low fat dressing and crispy noodles
• Bake savoury pinwheels the night before with onion, parsley, courgette, capsicum and lean bacon
• Try vegetarian pizzas in the lunchbox. Use tomato paste on the base and cover with chopped courgette, capsicum, mushroom, red onion and tomato
• Slice cucumber, lettuce, sprouts, tomato wedges and grated carrots and put in zip lock bags with bread or a bun separately, so the kids can make their own sammies
School Lunch Snack Ideas:
• Mix chopped kiwifruit, apples, pears and oranges with low fat yogurt. Children tend to eat more fruit when it is chopped up
• To stop chopped apple turning brown rub with a little lemon juice before you pack them up
Healthy School Lunch Tips:
• Spread avocado on your sandwiches instead of butter
• Leave tomatoes on the side for your child to add to their sandwiches so that sandwiches don’t become soggy and inedible.