These potato hash cakes are a garlic lover’s delight! Easy to make, filling and so cute – and ready in less than half an hour. Serve for brekkie, brunch, lunch or dinner, as an accompaniment to meat or fish, or simply on their own. Yum!
Garlic Potato Hash Cakes
Ready in 25 minutes. Serves 5-6 (makes 10-12 cakes)
- 6 medium-sized potatoes (we used Agria)
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 4 – 6 garlic flakes
- 1 medium onion
- 6 – 8 cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups oil to deep fry
- salt to taste
- Sour cream and fresh dill, to serve
- Peel and boil potatoes for around 20 minutes, mash thoroughly and cool.
- Mix in salt to taste and knead mashed potatoes to make smooth dough.
- Divide into ten to twelve equal portions.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Finely chop garlic flakes.
- Wash and finely cut coriander leaves.
- Crush cashew nuts and mix with chopped onion, garlic, coriander leaves, paprika, salt and cottage cheese.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions – you should get 10-12 patties.
- Stuff each portion of mashed potato with a portion of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Roll and shape into patties of approximately two-inch diameter and half inch thickness.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep-fry the cakes, turning, until golden brown.
- Once cooked, rest on a clean and absorbent paper towel.
- Serve hot, topped with sour cream and a sprig of fresh dill. These are also delicious with tomato ketchup or spicy salsa.