This one egg chocolate cake recipe is a sure fire winner. This choc cake will never let you down. In fact, I’d be willing to put my name on the fact this chocolate sponge cake creation will never fail you. Be it round, square, ring or loaf cake you need, this one egg cake recipe is your number one choice!
To make 1-Egg Chocolate Cake, you will need:
- 50g NZ Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 1 free range egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 4 drops Vanilla Essence
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 180ml Blue Top Milk
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Mainland Buttersoft
- 2 Tablespoons Water (approximately)
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa (or 2 Tbsp for a richer icing)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper. Or choose a ring cake tin as shown (but reduce cooking time by 10 minutes).
- Melt butter and syrup in a small saucepan.
- Pour melted ingredients into a small bowl.
- Add egg and sugar, beat well.
- Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder together.
- Fold sifted ingredients and essence into egg mixture.
- Dissolve baking soda in the milk.
- Fold this into the egg mixture.
- Pour your cake mix into chosen pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave cake in the tin fo five minutes before turning out onto wire rack
- Serve plain as shown, or dust with Icing Sugar. For a true choc fix make Chocolate Icing: sift icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl, add butter, add sufficient water to mix to a spreadable consistency, flavour with essence.