After a cook off against more than 400 sausages from across the country, a Pork and Fennel gourmet sausage has come out top of the 2010 Great NZ Sausage Competition.
Mediterranean Wholesale Market in Wanaka was named Supreme Award winner at the Great NZ Sausage event, sponsored by Devro, Kerry Ingredients and Alto Packaging, which was held at the Auckland Seafood School last Friday night. Owner of the gourmet food store, Brendon Wilson, said he is extremely proud of the success, which he attributes to his German-born Master Butcher of 30 years, Simon Tiefenbach.
Fifty one year old Tiefenbach says, “I have worked for many years combining fresh ingredients and customer feedback to refine what makes a unique and memorable sausage. The hard work has finally paid off.”
Alongside the search for New Zealand’s Supreme Sausage, the inaugural People’s Choice Award was also staged, where consumers received their chance to vote. This award went to Peter Timbs Meats in Christchurch with their beef sausage.
The best of every type of sausage was decided amidst a total of 12 categories. Category winners were as follows:
· Beef: Peter Timbs Meats, Christchurch
· Pork: Meat Cuisine, Auckland
· Pork: Waikanae Butchery, Wellington
· Saveloy/Polony/Cocktail: Saveloy, Southbridge Tasty Meats, Canterbury
· Frankfurters & Rounds: Smoked Kielbasa, Island Bay Butchery, Wellington
· Traditional: Cumberland, Netherby Meats, Ashburton
· Flavoured Precooked: Precooked Cheese, Tegel, Auckland
· Precooked: Gluten Free Precooked, Hellers Tasty Ltd, Christchurch
· Flavoured: Angus, Brookfield New World, Tauranga
· International Bratwursts & Boerwors: Boerwor, Ellerslie Meats, Auckland
· International Spicy: Chorizo, Peter Timbs Meats, Christchurch
· International Spicy: Merguez, Franklin Country Meats, Auckland
· International Mild: Italian Pork & Fennel, Seaside Meats, Auckland
· Gourmet: Pork & Fennel, Mediterranean Wholesale Market, Wanaka
· Gourmet: Venison, Hellers Tasty Ltd, Christchurch
· Gourmet: Chicken with lime, Jansessen’s Continental, Auckland
· Gourmet: Razorback Wild Boar & Bacon, Harmony Foods, Paeroa