This traditional bread and butter pudding recipe is a fab, fail-free pudding recipe created by Close Up star Mark Sainsbury with a little help from boxer Shane Cameron.
150g white sliced bread, weighed with crusts removed (approximately 8 toast slices)
40g Alfa One rice bran oil spread
50g no-added-sugar dried apricots, chopped
3-4 tablespoons sugar
sprinkling of ground cinnamon or nutmeg
300ml trim milk
1. Spread one side of each slice of bread with the low-fat spread
and cut each slice into quarters.
2. Lightly grease a 4-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Arrange half
of the slices of bread in the bottom of the dish, spread side up.
3. Sprinkle the chopped apricots and sugar evenly over the bread.
Sprinkle with some cinnamon or nutmeg.
4. Top with the remaining bread, spread side up. Sprinkle with
a little cinnamon.
5. Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl and beat together well.
Strain the mixture through a sieve and pour it evenly over the
bread pudding. Lightly press down the top layer of bread.
6. Stand for 1 hour so that the bread absorbs the liquid. Preheat
the oven to 190?C.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is crisp and golden and
the bread is puffed up.