The amazing ancient supergrain that is Quinoa is the star here. Low GI, high protein and a wonderful breakfast using blueberries (high in antioxidants) and almond butter (delectable and so good for you!)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Quinoa (Fresh recommends Ceres Organics)
- Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries) or use blueberries (either frozen or fresh Omaha organic blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon Ceres Organics Almond Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla is fine too)
- Boil the water and add the quinoa and a dash of salt (optional) and cook for 90 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool and thicken slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the blueberries in a small saucepan and heat on low until thawed and warmed.
- Stir the nut butter into the cooked cereal and mix well until the nut butter is evenly dispersed and no clumps remain.
- Stir in the almond extract and the thawed blueberries (and resulting blueberry juice).
- Garnish with almond slivers and more of your selected berries.
Thanks to Melissa Smith, author of “Going Against the Grain”.
In the Fresh kitchen we have experimented on this quinoa recipe with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and cranberries and all work just as beautifully.