This yummy, spicy Belgian Biscuit recipe can also be made into a Belgian Slice. We give you both options right here.
1 cup brown sugar
200 g soft butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups plain flour
Raspberry Jam (or whatever you have)
2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
25g soft butter
3 tbsp water (approx)
red jelly crystals
- Preheat oven to 160C with the rack just below the middle.
- Line the base andsides of sponge roll or brownie pan with baking paper.
- To make the base measure the brown sugar softened butter and egg into a large bowl or food processor.
- Mix well then add all the dry ingredients except the flour. Mix again add half the flour mix and add remaining flour and mix well. Slice
- If making slice divide dough into 2 parts and put in fridge until firm enough to roll.
- Roll each half out to fit baking pan. Place first sheet into the pan and neaten theedges. Spread jam over first layer then cover with second sheet ofdough. Prick in a few places and bake for 20-30 minutes until centreis firm when gently pressed. Cool ice as below and cut into bars.
Put dough in fridge until firm enough to roll. Cut into biscuit shapesand bake in oven. Cool put jam in middle with a little icing tostick together and ice the top as below.
Mix icing sugar butter and enough water to make a fairly soft icing.
Ice slice or biscuits. Sprinkle a few red jelly crystals on the icing.