Broccoli is one of those magic super foods and this recipe for broccoli soup is a great way to prepare it. It’s low fat too.
2 tsp olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped – including stems
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cup low fat milk
12 extra florets broccoli – small
Grated cheese – optional
- Heat oil large saucepan. Add onion and celery and fry over a medium head until onion softens.
- Add the 4 cups broccoli, the potato, stock and milk. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins or until vegetables are tender.
- Allow soup to cool slightly before transferring to a blender or food processor. Blend till smooth – this may take 2 -3 batches.
- Return soup to saucepan and heat through.
- While the soup is re-heating, steam the extra broccoli florets until bright green and just soft.
- Divide soup into bowls, garnish with two small steamed broccolil florets each and top with cracked black pepper.
- If you are not too worried about calories try sprinkling a little grated cheese on top of each bowl and serve with toasted chunky-cut bread.