Glucina’s Nursery at Matakana, which last year introduced the Goji plant to New Zealand gardeners, is releasing a new superfood to the NZ garden centre market. The Chia seed!
Chia – salvia hispanica – is an annual grown for its superseed heads.
Scientific analysis claims that the Chia seed has:
- 10 x more omega 3 & 6 than salmon
- 5 x more calcium than milk
- 3 x more iron than spinach
- 15 x more magnesium than broccoli
- 4 x more antioxidants than blueberry
- 18 amino acids
- 20 percent high quality protein
- loads of vitamins and minerals
There are further claims that chia absorbs a lot of water and creates a slurry in the stomach which is digested evenly and slowly, making it a low GI fod.
The Chia seeds are harvested from the plant in autumn once they have dried off.
For more information on where to buy ready to eat Chia seed contact by emailing Glucina’s Nursery at Matakana on [email protected]