With the price of cheese and dairy products seemingly staying on the up now is a great time for you to have a go at making some of your own. Plus it’s alot of fun and rewarding to eat because you made it.
Quarg (or quark) is really handy! It’s a light, moist, fluffy cheese with a crisp, mild flavour. It can be used in sweet desserts such as cheesecake or mousse, or in savoury dishes instead of sour cream. It’s low in fat which makes it perfect for healthier recipes.
Quarg (or quark) is easy to make at home. If you love your own fruit and vege patch, you will fall in love with making your own cheese. The easiest cheeses to make at home or to start your cheesemaking career are quarg, haloumi and mascarpone as they are quick cheeses to make and you don’t need specialised implements or utensils.
Here’s a perfect Quarg recipe below and remember, Quarg makes the best cheesecake ever!
1 Litre of fresh cow’s milk
Juice of ½ lemon
fresh herbs for flavouring (optional)
some cheese cloth or muslin
a washing up bowl
a plastic container or bowl
- Bring the milk just to the boil, then add the lemon juice.
- Remove pan from heat and leave to settle for a little while.
- Bring the pan to the boil again, then let the milk cool once more. It will have curdled.
- Place the cheese cloth in the colander, place the colander over the washing up bowl, ( so that the colander does not touch the bottom of the bowl).
- Pour in the curdled milk and allow the whey to drain (this may take some time).
- Take the corners of the cheese cloth and tie tightly with string, hang up over the washing up bowl and allow to drain for a further hour.
- Don’t press on the cloth as this will affect the flavour of the Quark and it will become sticky.
- Turn the Quark out of the cheese cloth into the container or bowl, at this stage the Quark may be flavoured with chopped chives or other fresh herbs (alternatively you can mix in sugar free crush and fruit OR… Whey powder).
- Place in fridge to cool before eating and enjoying your own homemade, inexpensive cheese!