Savoury bread cases
These delicious savoury bread cases are a quick and easy nibble that can be filled with anything you’re game to try or whatever needs using up from the fridge or pantry. A perfect kiwiana party treat and just perfectly filling for snacks during kids parties or get-togethers.
- 10 slices bread
- Butter (for spreading)
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 2 slices ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- grated tasty cheese
- Spring onion or chives to sprinkle before serving
- Spread your bread with butter.
- Remove the crusts.
- Cut into rounds with a mug or cookie cutter and use to line a muffin tin, buttered side down.
- Bake at 190°C degrees for 10 minutes until crisp and lightly golden.
- While the bread cases are baking, heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onion until clear.
- Add the corn.
- Chop ham into small cubes and add to corn with the parsley.
- Heat until just bubbling.
- Fill bread cases, top with cheese and herbs and serve! For that something extra special, top with the cheese and put back under the grill for a few minutes, sprinkle herbs then serve.
Tips for other filling ideas:
Salmon and cheese, curried egg mayonnaise, guacamole and salsa, smoked fish in parsley sauce, mushroom and bacon, or pumpkin pinenut and feta cheese. Experiment as you please as this bread case style suits so many things.