Want to make a kiwiana treat to serve up with drinks and nibbles? Then Cob Loaf is your answer. This moreish recipe is very versatile add what you feel to this delicious cob loaf base. Crispy bacon or ham, some creamed corn, different cheeses or herbs.
Serves: 8 Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
1 large loaf (or 2 small loaves) unsliced rustic or artisan bread
8-10 fresh, large silverbeet leaves out of your garden or 1 packet of defrosted frozen spinach
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 x 32g packet of Maggi onion soup mix
1 cup mayonnaise
200g punnet of mascarpone (room temperature)
1 red onion, finely chopped (or use spring onions or shallots)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 cup grated tasty cheese
Curry powder to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Line a baking tray with foil or use baking paper.
- Cut a “lid” from the top of your chosen loaf. Hollow out the centre, retaining the pieces for dipping later.
- Chop your silverbeet or press any excess liquid out is using defrosted spinach. Combine leaves, parsley, dry onion soup mix, mayonnaise, mascarpone, onion, garlic, cheese and curry powder.
- Spoon your cob loaf mix into the centre of the loaf. Replace the bread lid.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until centre is hot and melted. Do not over-bake or the bread may become too crusty and hard.