Greek Pastichio is pasta and meat dish very similar to lasagne or moussaka.
½ kg hollow pasta (like penne)
100g hard cheese, grated
½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the Sauce
½ kg mince
250g tomatoes, finely chopped
1 large onion, grated
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp tomato paste
120ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
For the Béchamel
1 litre milk
1 c flour
150g parmesan cheese, grated
- Place the oil in a shallow pan and when it is moderately hot add the onion. Fry gently for a few minutes and then add the mince. Stir well and continue to fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste. Add the cloves cinnamon salt and pepper. Finally add 500ml warm water.
- Cook for about 1 hour until you have a thick sauce.
- While the sauce is cooking boil a deep pan of salted water and add the pasta.
- When the pasta is ready drain it and return it to the pan (having removed the water) with a large knob of butter off the heat.
- Stir the pasta and sprinkle the nutmeg over it and prepare the béchamel.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan gently heat the butter until it melts. Add the flour and stir continuously. Add half of the milk and continue to stir with a whisk.
- When the mixture starts to thicken add the rest of the milk whilst stirring continuously. Once it thickens, lower the temperature to the minimum and add the grated cheese.
- Add 3 large spoonfuls of béchamel to the pasta and mix.
- Place half of the pasta mixture in an oven dish 35cm long and 5cm deep.
- Add all of the sauce as another layer on top of it.
- Add a further layer with the remaining pasta. Finish with the rest of the béchamel.
- Bake in a preheated moderate oven for 45 minutes or until it has a golden brown colour.