Trinidad Chicken Curry
Lovable and lively Kiwi food and travel writer Nici Wickes presented this recipe for Tegel World Kitchen. We loved that TV show. So here is the recipe for the amazing chicken dish she discovered on her travels.
This curry is delicious and great for those who enjoy a milder curry. It has an East Indian influence and uses the one key ingredient so common to Caribbean cooking – the green seasoning mix.
3 Tegel Chicken Breasts – skin on, cubed
1 cup green sauce (recipe below)
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
1-2 teaspoons garam masala
½ cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon mustard (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 fresh mango, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
Store bought roti
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken in the green seasoning (recipe below).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-sized, heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until soft then add the spices (cumin, turmeric, garam masala) and fry for 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and green seasoning and stir until coated in the spice mix and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finally add the coconut milk, mustard (if using), salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in the mango and heat through.
- Serve with rice and roti.
1 green capsicum, de-seeded and chopped roughly
1 stalk of celery, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 bunch of fresh coriander (about 1 cup)
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
¼ – ½ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor.