This salmon dish originates in Hokkaido, the northern most island of Japan, where wild salmon are local. The salmon fillet and vegetables are cooked together in a fry pan and miso sauce is added. This is a dynamic and easy one-pan dish that is so delightful on the palate and guaranteed to please everyone. This salmon miso dish is called ‘Chan Chan Yaki’ in Japanese.
2 pieces of salmon fillets (skinned and boned)
3-4 leaves cabbage – shredded
½ small onion thinly sliced
1/4 capsicums (I used red and yellow)
3 tablespoons miso
2 tablespoons sake or dry white wine
2 teaspoon sugar
1 clove garlic grated
Vegetable oil (optional)
How to make Chan Chan Yaki (Salmon with Miso Sauce)
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot place salmon.(heat oil before adding salmon if you are using)
- When one side of salmon become golden turn them over. Place cabbage, onion and capsicum around the salmon and put a lid on.
- Continue to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix ingredients of Miso sauce.
- When the vegetables are cooked, pour miso sauce and continue to cook for further few minutes,
- Place a small cubes of butter on top to serve.