You can make these lovely caramel custard puddings using a rice cooker or steamer. So easy and surprisingly quick. and the kids will love them. Serve them warm plain or chilled with fruit salad & cream.
Ingredients (for 7 or 8 80ml pudding moulds)
For the caramel:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
For the pudding:
1 vanilla bean pod (or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
3 tablespoons sugar
How to make Custard pudding
- In a small sauce pan heat 2 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Heat until the sugary water becomes dark caramel colour. This takes 4-5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of water to stop colouring further. Be careful, the liquid bubbles up vigorously when you add water.
- Pour caramel sauce into 7-8 pudding moulds. Enough to cover bottom of each moulds.
- In the same sauce pan, add milk and vanilla pod. Heat until the milk is hot, but not boiling.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar well. Add hot milk in and mix well.
- Put the egg and milk mixture through a sieve. Discard vanilla pod.
- Divide egg and milk mixture into the pudding molds. Cover each pudding with a piece of foil.
- Line the bottom of the rice cooker or slow cooker bowl with a cloth or a piece of kitchen paper towel. Add 2 cups of water. Place pudding molds.
- Switch on rice cooker. When the water starts to boil (takes about 10-15minutes) change the setting to keep warm mode and leave for 10-15 minutes or the puddings are set.
Tip. You can serve your custard pudding warm or serve well chilled. Add 1 teaspoon of instant coffee or cocoa to the milk for different flavours.