This is one of our favourite family dinners. Surprise of melting cheese and bits of apple in the pork are scrumptious and fun. The pie is good even when it is cold, so you can pack it for a picnic.
Ingredients (serve 3-4)
300g lean pork mince
1 clove garlic
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs or 1 slice bread (I used mixed grain toast bread)
2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon dried herbs of your choice (rosemary, oregano, parsley, mixed herbs, tarragon etc.)
1 egg beaten
50g cheddar cheese
½ small apple
Salt and pepper
1 sheet ready to use savoury short crust pastry (you can use puff pastry if you prefer) thawed if frozen
How to make family pork pie”
- Chop onion very fine and crush garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, place breadcrumbs and sprinkle milk. Mix and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut apple and cheese into 1cm cube pieces.
- Preheat oven to 200?C.
- Add pork, onion, garlic, herbs to the bread crumbs. Add ½ egg and salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands until it forms a nice pattie.
- Add cheese and apple and make it into a cylinder shape.
- On a baking sheet, lay the pastry. Place the pork mixture on the centre of the pastry. Slit the pastry diagonally into 1.5cm strips on either side of the pork.
- Damp the end of each pastry strip and fold alternatively from each side over the meat filling. Seal the end and brush with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake in hot oven 200?C for 20 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 180?C and continue cooking for further 20-25 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce or gravy if you like.