Whip up one of our most popular dinners – roast chook! Radio and television host Leah Panapa loves this roast chicken recipe. So do we!
For the Roast Chicken:
1 kg of chicken pieces (chicken legs & thighs)
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
1 Tbsp mixed Italian herbs
1 ½ cups Selaks Reserve Pinot Gris
For the cops cous:
2 cups couscous
2 ½ cups chicken stock, heated
2 large kumara, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
250 grams feta
1 bag of baby spinach
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
How to make Leah’s Roast Chicken and Kumara Cous-Cous Salad:
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, add the herbs and spices and a dash of good quality olive oil, then mix well so all the pieces are covered.
- Place seasoned chicken in a roasting pan and pour the Pinot Gris over the top.
- Place the chicken in the pre-heated oven and roast for 30 minutes, then turn the pieces over and roast for an additional 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place kumara in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and lightly drizzle with good quality olive oil. Place in a roasting dish and put into the oven at the same time as you turn the chicken, the kumara should be ready by the time the chicken is cooked.
- Place the couscous in a bowl, add the hot chicken stock and a pinch of salt, then cover with a plate or plastic wrap and sit for five to ten minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. This can be made five minutes before the chicken is finished cooking.
- To serve, combine the couscous with the kumara, feta and a big handful of spinach leaves.
- Transfer the couscous to a large platter or serving dish and place the chicken on top.