The subtle sweetness of carrot and parsnip gives this soup fab flavour! The thick, creamy texture makes the soup hearty and filling for cooler months. An oh-so-healthy vege soup recipe.
1 parsnip, washed, trimmed and halved lengthways
1 kg carrots, washed, trimmed and halved lengthways
2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt and cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups (1 litre) chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
1/4 cup sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place parsnip and carrot on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and pepper and drizzle with the oil.
- Cook parsnip and carrot for 35 minutes or until soft and golden brown. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the parsnip and carrot puree in a large saucepan and add the stock and 2 cups of water. Bring to a high simmer over medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat the extra oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sage leaves and fry until crisp and golden. Remove and place on paper towel.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprig of fresh parsley or even better, thinly sliced fried or baked parsnip.