Mmmm… Beefy brisket is transformed into tender morsels of goodness. Rub the beef with a combination of chilli powder, cumin, brown sugar, cayenne and garlic then slow-cook it in a homemade sweet and savoury sauce. After ten hours of gentle cooking, the meat can be sliced or shredded, tossed with the sauce, and stuffed into a sandwich with leafy greens.
For slow cooked Brisket, you will need:
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons red win vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the brisket:
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rock salt (more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more as needed)
- 1kg beef brisket
How to make slow cooked Brisket:
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a large slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place all of the measured brisket ingredients, except the brisket, in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board and cut it in half widthwise. Evenly coat it with the spice rub and place the two brisket pieces in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about ten hours.
- Transfer the brisket to a clean cutting board. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a medium heatproof bowl and set it aside.
- Remove the excess fat from the brisket and discard it. Slice the meat against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and return it to the slow cooker. (Alternatively, you can shred the meat with two forks.)
- Use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the barbecue sauce. Return the sauce to the slow cooker and stir gently to combine it with the meat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.