Lemon Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
Lemon chicken… one of my favourite combos. The addition of the vegetables just makes this heart warming crockpot casserole hum. This is a quickly prepared family meal that can cook while you’re busy with the kids or at work.
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2cm pieces (we )
- 3 cups of fresh broccoli, carrots, corn, onion, spinach or anything green
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, dried
- 1 cup red red lentils or pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 lemon, juice and 2 thin strips of peel
- 400ml fresh chicken stock, or 1 stock cube dissolved in 400ml hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Heat oil in frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides until well coloured. This step may be carried out the night before; simply cook, cool, cover and refrigerate till required.You may omit the browning step, but the result will not be as good.
- Tip the vegetables, lentils and herbs into the slow-cooker & place browned chicken (and any accumulated juices) on top. Add the lemon peel and garlic, if using. (It is important to put the vegetables on the bottom to ensure they are covered by the liquid.)
- Mix together the stock & tomato paste. Pour the liquid into the slow-cooker. If necessary, top up with water to ensure all vegetables are just covered.
- Put on lid and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours, or on LOW for 7-9 hours, until chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- To thicken the sauce, mix together the cornflour with 4 tbsp lemon juice. Turn slow-cooker onto HIGH, add cornflour mix and cook for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add remaining lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a dollop of basil pesto for extra grunt and goodness.
Serve with fresh crusty bread and a side salad.