BBQ Mediterranean Veges
It’s all about the barbie now that spring’s nearly here. Get your greek on with these thinly sliced vegetables all baked together. This recipe is adapted for the BBQ by wrapping the veges in foil and throwing them on the hot plate.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried red capsicum
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick rings
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced into thin slivers
- 12 whole basil leaves
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced
- 2 medium green capsicums, seeded and cut into rings
- 6 ripe, plum tomatoes, cut into ovals
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Greek feta
- Heat your BBQ to medium. Make six aluminum foil rectangles with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Toss in the potatoes, garlic, and onions. After everything is covered in the marinade, remove the potatoes, garlic, and onions and place into equal piles on each of the foil rectangles. The key is to reuse the marinade for all of the ingredients, so let everything drip well into the bowl before placing on the foil.
- With everything equally divided, place a basil leaf on top of each pile. Next, add the courgette in the marinade and then add the courgette to the piles while preserving the marinade in the bowl. Add another basil leave. Continue this process with the peppers and tomatoes.
- Finally, add the feta across all of the piles and then fold the packets together so they are sealed shut. Place the packets on a cooking sheet, and then place on the BBQ hot plate or grill. The packets will grill over direct medium heat for approximately 35 minutes.
Serve with a juicy BBQ steak, or have them right out of the foil. Either way, they won’t be around long especially if there are vegetarians nearby.