A healthy, tasty lunch or dinner with loads of tuna for brain food and a sassy spice punch with both cumin and coriander but no chilli! An all-round brilliant, gluten-free, colourful, warm rice protein meal.
For hot spiced rice with tuna, you will need:
1.5 cups of rice (we love SunRice medium grain for this recipe)
3 cups water
Dash of rock salt
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 brown onion, diced
2 x 425g cans of tuna, ideally in olive oil and garlic
3/4 cup of fresh coriander leaves and stem (or use a mix of mint and parsley)
1 punnet of fresh cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 lemon, zest and juice (with lemon and lime cheeks for serving)
How to make hot spiced rice with tuna:
- Cook your rice. In a large pot over medium-high eat, add the 1.5 cups uncooked rice, 3 cups of water and the dash of salt. Bring to the boil, the cover the pot with a lid, reduce to lowest heat on your stove and let steam (approximately 20 minutes, all the water is absorbed and the rice is steaming and ready).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil with the cumin in a large non-stick frypan (or wok) over medium heat until the cumin is fragrant. Add the onions and stir-fry until slightly translucent. Add the near-drained tuna, stir through and remove from heat.
- Now fold through the cooked rice. Once combined, stir through the halved tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- Zest the lemon over the top with a squeeze of the juice to finish. Serve each plate with a lemon or lime cheek. Enjoy!
1. For a fresh summer rice salad, refrigerate the cooked rice before stirring through.
2. To reduce the cook time to 10 minutes, use SunRice Steamed Long Grain white rice (just 90 seconds in the microwave) or for added wholegrains, try SunRice Steamed Brown rice.