Thin layers of filo pastry filled with lovely nuts and soaked in sweet syrup. This dessert is very popular Easter festive food in Eastern Mediterranean countries.
Ingredients ( makes 8 )
50g pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped
50g walnuts chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinamon
4 sheets filo pastry, thawed if frozen
2 tablespoons butter melted
For the syrup
juice of half lemon
6-10 cardamon pods crushed
How to make Pistachio Filo
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Mix chopped pistachio ( reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling ) , walnuts, brown sugar and cinamon.
- Brush one sheet of filo with melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 of the nuts mixture. Cut the pastry in half width ways and roll up one half, then twist to make a circle. Seal the joint with melted butter. Place on the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat step 3 to make 8 circles. Brush the circles with more melted butter.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.Scatter reserved pistachio.
- While the nests are in the oven, put sugar, lemon juice, cardamon pods and 150ml of water in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Strain the syrup. Set aside.
- As soon as the pastries come out of the oven, pour the warm syrup over the pastries.
- Leave for a few hours until the syrup is absorbed.