New season buttercups are here! I love this beautiful, dark yellow-orange vegetable in its green skin. Naturally sweet and so good just roasted. Add buttercup to soups, pastas, pies and many other dishes. Buttercup is both savoury and sweet and is full of vitamins too.
Here is a Japanese style stir fry recipe with a little chilli kick. This method of stir fry is called kimpira and it works well with other vegetables such as capsicum, celery, carrots, kumara and potato instead of buttercup. For a more traditional Japanese dish, use Asian vegetables such as gobou (burdock) or renkon (lotus root).
¼ buttercup, seeds removed and cut into small pieces. Leave skin on.
1 tablespoon cooking oil
½ tablespoon sesame oil
1 ½ tablespoon sugar
1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
1 dried red chilli, seeds removed and snipped in small pieces
Sesame seeds to garnish
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add buttercup pieces and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle sugar and soy sauce all over and continue to stir fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add chilli, continue to stir fry until cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds to serve.