My mother used to bake this simple, but tasty Madeleine for a treat. Madeleine is often baked in sea shell shaped baking tin, but you can just use your fairy cake or muffin tin. The richness of this cake comes from the equal amount of butter to flour, and this is the unique Madeleine character.
Ingredients ( makes 12 )
90g unsalted butter , melted
90g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Madeleine cake or cakes:
- Shift flour, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add an egg and start to mix. Then add honey, Vanilla and one more egg.
- Gradually add melted butter, mixing thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and leave for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Pour in prepared tin or cupcaake cases and bake in the centre of oven, 180 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
– You can use 20g ground almonds plus 70g flour instead of all 90g flour for more flavoursome result.
– Use grated citrus peel and its juice ( such as orange, lemon, lime ) instead of vanilla for different flavour.