Avocados going off faster than you can eat them?
Avocados are finally, finally cheap enough to buy by the dozen – and we’re loving it! Trouble with avos though, is that when you buy a bag, they are often all ready at the same time, and in the blink of an eye: bang, they are brown and fit for nothing.
Packed full of vitamins including Vitamin B5, B6, K and the skin-boosting Vitamin E, avocados are full of fibre and excellent sources of potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure. High in healthy fats, they are good for cholesterol levels too – what’s not to love! Now all you have to do is work out how to eat them all! Here are five ideas to get you started.
- 2 soft avocados, mashed with a fork
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
- Flaky sea salt and ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients together, chill for 30 minutes and serve with fresh crudite vegetables, toasted Turkish bread or corn chips.
Smoked salmon & Avocado Linguini
- 375g linguini, cooked according to packet instructions
- 100ml white wine or chicken stock
- 250ml cream or mascarpone
- 100g smoked salmon
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped (dried works fine too)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, cubed into 1cm pieces
- Fresh dill, to serve
Cook pasta according to packet instructions and drain well. Return to pan and add cream and stock, stirring well. Remove from heat and add ribbons of smoked salmon, fresh dill and lemon zest and juice. Serve in a large bowl, top with avocado cubes and fresh dill.
Blend 1 avocado, 1 banana, 1 spoonful honey and 3 cups orange juice in a blender or juicer, pour into a glass and serve!
Prawn Avocado Tacos
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 whole banana prawns, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 1/2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Old El Paso mini tacos
- 1 mini cos gem lettuce
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Sour cream, to serve
Rinse red onion under running water and squeeze dry, removing as much liquid as possible. In a hot heavy-based pan, fry garlic and chilli until fragrant, and add prawns. Fry on high until cooked through. Stuff the mini taco with gem lettuce and avocado, add two prawns per taco, top with avocado and a dollop of sour cream to serve. Garnish with extra chilli.