Spiced cake base goes very well with the bitterness of coffee. Enjoy this truly special cake straight out of a hot oven. You’ll love the crispiness of the crumble and beautiful aroma of coffee. A very sophisticated coffee cake.
Ingredients (21cm cake tin):
250g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
150g cold butter, cubed
1 large egg
½ cup milk
– 1 tablespoon strong ground coffee
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 2 tablespoons hot water
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Line a cake tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon. Add cold butter and pulse until the mixture becomes fine crumble. Alternatively mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and rub in cold butter with your fingertips to make crumble.
- Set aside ¼ of the crumble mixture. Add an egg and milk to rest of the crumble mixture and process until well combined.
- Make strong plunger coffee. Measure 2 tablespoons of coffee and add sugar. Let cool.
- Pour the cake mixture in the tin and level the top. Drizzle cooled coffee and swirl a little.
- Top with the reserved crumble mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.