You can add almost anything to basic sushi rice to create your favorite sushi. Here is just an example. Beautiful tri-coloured ingredients layered in individual glasses.
Ingredients (serve 2-3 as main dish)
2 cups (180ml cup comes with rice cookers) short/medium grain rice or sushi rice
2 tablespoons sake (or dry white wine)
– 4 tablespoons rice vinegar / white vinegar
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds (roasted)
1 small avocado
- Rinse rice and put in a rice cooker. Add sake/wine and water to the water level mark of the rice cooker. Switch on.
- Mix vinegar, sugar and salt to make sushi vinegar.
- When the rice is cooked, put the cooked rice on a shallow tray and sprinkle sushi vinegar while the rice is still hot.
- Mix sushi vinegar with rice and cool quickly using hand held fan. Mix sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, prepare avocado, prawns and egg.
- Remove skin and stone of an avocado. Cut into small cubes.
- Place prawns in a shallow pan. Drizzle sake/white wine over and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until just cooked through. Cool. When cooled, remove shells and tails, slice in half.
- Beat eggs. Mix 1 teaspoon of sugar and a drop of soy sauce. Pour in a non-stick frying pan and place on medium heat to make scrambled eggs.
- When everything is at room temperature, layer sushi rice, avocado, eggs and prawns in glasses. Decorate with coriander leaves.