Need a quick-fix dinner with pantry staples? Look no further. Iron-rich, filling and delicious, this is an easy weeknight staple you’ll love.
Tender Barbecued Steaks on Toasty Rice
Preparation time: Serves 2
- 500g sirloin steak, room temperature, divided into 2 equal portions
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 thumb ginger, sliced into thin sticks
- 1 clove garlic, sliced into thin sticks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Sea salt and Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, sliced (red’s nice)
- 200g snow peas, roughly chopped
- 1 packet (250g) precooked or leftover rice (we used Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice)
- Heat barbecue on medium-high.
- Mix soy sauce, tomato paste, mirin, ginger and garlic in a bowl, and, using your hands, rub mixture well into the steaks. Marinade for an hour or overnight.
- Drizzle a little sesame oil on the grill, and sear steaks for 3-4 minutes each side, turning once only. Remove from pan and rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- In a frypan, drizzle a little more sesame oil, and saute onions for 5 minutes until tender. Add capsicum and chopped snow peas, and toss for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Rice, mix to combine and serve with steaks and a green salad if required.