You’re constipated and bloated, your tummy’s gurgling. Don’t even mention the abdominal pain and flatulence. Then all of a sudden? You need to go—and you need to go NOW.
While digestive irregularities may impact daily living, there are positive steps that can be taken to manage the symptoms. Paired with a individualised nutrient-dense diet plan, natural wholefood supplements may also lessen the discomfort, says naturopath, nutritionist and Lifestream ambassador, Janella Purcell.
“The brain and our emotions also share a strong relationship with the gut and immune system,” says Purcell. “We now know the gut micro-biome, where trillions of microbes reside in the human body, can communicate with the brain through molecules produced by gut bacteria that enter the bloodstream—these molecules can impact digestion, and also mood and emotional wellbeing.”
Top Tips to Help Beat Stomach Bloat & Discomfort
“It’s a good idea to keep a food diary, along with a record of any symptoms that show up,” says Janella. “This can help sufferers identify dietary triggers.”
Janella, bestselling author of Janella’s Super Natural Foods, suggests adding the following supplements to a daily nutrition plan:
- Aloe Vera Juice: This may help to soothe the entire digestive tract and promote regularity. Look for a high quality juice that is 99.7 percent pure.
- Fibre: Choose a psyllium and slippery elm combination. The main cause of constipation is lack of fibre, followed by low water intake.
- Probiotics: These may help boost beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract, aiding digestion. Select a product with guaranteed two billion strains of beneficial microorganisms per capsule.
- Prebiotics: Prebiotics, such as inulin, may help feed and maintain beneficial bacteria.
- Digestive Enzymes: These may help break down food more efficiently; prevent food from over fermenting, which is a cause of excess bloating and wind. Look for enzymes sourced from microbial and plant sources.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is a digestive system carminative, which may settle bloating and cramps. Choose enteric-coated products so the peppermint will make it to the bowel, where it is needed.
Lifestyle Habits to Help Manage Tummy Troubles
Manage Stress – Make calming activities part of your every day. Walk, take a candlelit bath or simply take time out to do nothing and just breathe. Sit on the grass, read or keep a journal to get those stressed thoughts out of your head and onto paper.
Get Moving – Whether it’s walking, running, yoga, going to the gym or just taking the dog for a stroll, these may help ease abdominal discomfort. It has been shown physical exercise may have positive impact. It’s also a way to manage stress levels.
Lifestream offers a range of wholefood and superfood supplements that can support a healthy digestion.
Lifestream Biogenic Aloe Vera Juice, from $19.50RRP for 500ml
Lifestream FIBRE Bowel Biotics, from $16.90RRP for 100g
Lifestream Advanced Probiotics, from $29.90RRP for 30 caps
Lifestream products are available at health food stores and pharmacies nationwide. It’s nutrition to live by.
To find out more, visit www.lifestream.co.nz