A good recipe always starts with a good oil, and this wonderful Singaporean dish, from Brett McGregor’s Taste of a Traveller collection, is made with Olivado Extra Virgin avocado oil, a delicious high-heat oil that won a gold medal at the Northland Olive Oil awards in November 2016.
Serves 2-3 Prep Time 10 Minutes Cook Time 15 Minutes
- 2 packets instant ramen (we love Indo Mie)
- 2 Tbsp chili sauce (Sriracha), or more to taste
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (we love Kikkoman)
- 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp oyster sauce (we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Olivado Extra Virgin Avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 300g diced chicken breast (we love Waitoa)
- 2 Tbsp shao hsing wine
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fried shallots (available packaged at Asian markets)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles for 30 seconds, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine chilli sauce, dark soy, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, oyster sauce and ketchup. Stir to combine, and set aside.
- In a large preheated wok, add the oil and bring to a high heat. Crack the eggs into the wok, stir vigorously until the eggs are lightly scrambled and just set, then add the garlic, noodles, bean sprouts, cabbage, chicken, and 3/4 cup water.
- Stir-fry continuously until the chicken is cooked. Add chilli sauce mixture, and keep stirring until well combined. The noodles should begin to get a bit drier (no liquid left in the bottom of the wok). Add shao hsing wine and white pepper, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Garnish with spring onion and fried shallots.