Chicken & Bacon Parcels with Mozzarella & Basil
Another Fresh take on the simple chicken fillet, this summery dish uses not one, but two perfect pairings – tomato and basil, and chicken with bacon. As always, good ingredients make or break a dish, so try where possible to use free-range chicken and a good olive oil.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40-50 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 sprigs thyme
¼ cup white wine
1 tin diced whole peeled tomatoes
¼ cup tomato paste
4 large chicken thighs (boneless & skinless)
4 rashers streaky bacon
8 basil leaves
4 fresh mozzarella cheese balls, quartered
Fresh basil and shaved parmesan, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, and sauté the onion, garlic and thyme for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the wine and simmer gently for one minute. Add the tomatoes and paste and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Lay the chicken thighs out flat. Place 1-2 basil leaves and 2 pieces of mozzarella on each and fold over to enclose. Wrap each chicken parcel in a strip of bacon to seal.
- Pour the sauce into an oven proof serving dish, and arrange the chicken parcels on the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes until cooked and the bacon is golden on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil and shaved parmesan and serve with crusty bread & green beans.