Garlic Potato Hash Cakes
These potato hash cakes are a garlic lover’s delight! Easy to make, filling and so cute – and ready in less than half an hour. Serve for brekkie, brunch, lunch or dinner, as an accompaniment to meat or fish, or simply on their own. Yum!
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Serves: 5-6
6 medium-sized potatoes (we used Agria)
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/4 cup coriander leaves
4 – 6 garlic flakes
1 medium onion
6 – 8 cashew nuts
1/4 cup cottage cheese
2 cups oil to deep fry
salt to taste
Sour cream and fresh dill, to serve
- Peel and boil potatoes for around 20 minutes, mash thoroughly and cool.
- Mix in salt to taste and knead mashed potatoes to make smooth dough then divide into ten to twelve equal portions.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic flakes and coriander leaves. Crush the cashew nuts and mix with chopped onion, garlic, coriander leaves, paprika, salt and cottage cheese.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions – you should get 10-12 patties.
- Stuff each portion of mashed potato with a portion of the cottage cheese mixture then roll and shape into patties of approximately two-inch diameter and half inch thickness.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep-fry the cakes, turning, until golden brown. Set aside on a clean and absorbent paper towel when cooked.
Serve hot, topped with sour cream and a sprig of fresh dill. These are also delicious with tomato ketchup or spicy salsa.