Beat the Autumn chill with this deliciously grunty mushroom soup.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
450g mushrooms, roughly chopped or sliced
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
Salt and pepper
6-8 baby potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
150ml white wine (eg. Chardonnay)
1 litre chicken stock
1 teaspoon each of dried oregano or Tuscan herbs (or fresh if you have it, double the amount)
1/3 cup cream
Dollop of crème fraîche
Parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the chopped mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, then cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cubed potato, white wine, chicken stock and herbs. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Cool slightly, then whizz until smooth.
5. Return to the pot, add the cream and heat to boiling point, stirring well. Taste and season. Ladle into soup bowls, add a dollop of crème fraîche, a sprig of parsley and serve with your favourite crusty bread.
– I love adding a small handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese for extra bite.
– A grainy, nutty bread works well here and a buttery Chardonnay will be delicious with the soup.