Orange Poppy Seed Muffin Recipe
Macadamia Nut oil in this recipe makes for a beautiful muffin twist. The poppy seeds and orange zest make for great texture.
Prep time: 10min Cook time: 25min Makes: 12-18 muffins
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Olivado Extra Virgin Macadamia Oil
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Zest and juice of one orange
- Cream cheese icing (see recipe below) or icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Line two 12-hole trays with muffin baking cups
- Combine the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add the poppy-seed mixture along with remaining milk, butter, lightly beaten eggs, orange rind and juice, and stir with a large metal spoon or spatula until just combined (do not overmix).
- Spoon the batter among prepared muffin pans. Bake on the middle tray of your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature dusted with icing sugar.
Tip: If you use two trays, swap them around in the oven half way through cooking time so the muffins become golden.
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 50g softened butter
- 100g softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 45g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp orange zest (left over from the above)
- Mix until glossy and ice your muffins. Top with more poppy seeds and orange zest.