This easy-peasy cottage pie recipe will soon become a family or flat favourite! Just what Autumn ordered – a tasty, economical and simple recipe that will impress.
Cottage Pie Ingredients:
5 Wilcox Inca Gold potatoes, washed, peeled and in halves
1/4 cup milk
25g salted butter
500g NZ Quality Mark beef mince
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon Italian herbs
1 carrot, halved and sliced
1 tin of corn
1 courgette, halved and sliced
1 punnet sliced Meadows Mushrooms
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
400g can chopped tomatoes
1. Boil the potatoes, drain and make into a mash with a bit of milk and butter.
2. Brown the mince in a non-stick frying pan, breaking up the mince into small pieces. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion, red wine, and garlic, then simmer. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same frying pan, gently cook the carrot, corn, courgette and mushrooms until crisp and tender, but not brown. Increase the heat and add the tomato sauce and cook stirring for 1 minute. Pour over the chopped tomatoes (and 1/2 cup of water if needed) and stir to combine.
4. Stir the meat mixture into the vegetable mixture, stir in the herbs and place in a pie dish. Spoon over the mashed potatoes and if desired, sprinkle cheese on top.
5. Cook at 200° in a fan-bake oven for 10-12 minutes or until hot and golden.