Best Cheese & Bacon Scones Recipe
Retro baking goodness. Here’s a nice savoury twist on the classic scone using bacon pieces and dollops of mayo which gives these scones a lovely light texture.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Makes: 12-14
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup diced bacon or ham
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon herb salt
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise, we used Best Foods Mayo
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celcius.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Stir in bacon pieces, cheese, herb salt, sliced shallots and parsley.
- In a separate bowl beat together the mayonnaise and milk.
- Fold the liquid ingredients into the dry and gently mix until combined (add a little extra milk if needed). The mixture should be a stiff muffin consistency.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out generous spoonfuls onto the lined tray – they should just be touching so when cooked they will link together.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and risen (you can pull the middle one apart slightly to check it is cooked through).
- Remove from the oven and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Serve warm with butter.