Anne’s Sally Lunn recipe, made using left-over cold mashed potato! A favourite at shearing time with the shearing gang. Make several at a time and freeze them so they’re always on hand. Delicious warm and buttered generously.
~ Allyson Gofton, FWNZ
- 1 cup cold mashed potato
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sultanas (or currants)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Dash vanilla essence
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Beat the mashed potato and sugar together until smooth. Sift the flour and salt together and add to the mashed potato mix with the sultanas and sufficient milk to make a stiff dough.
- Shape into a bun and place on the prepared tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until well risen and golden. Cool on a cake rack before covering generously with the vanilla icing. Decorate with coconut if wished.
Work the butter into the icing sugar and then add the vanilla essence and sufficient milk to make a thick but spreadable icing.
Make sure the mashed potatoes are smooth and cold.