NZ Bakels launched the New Zealand Bakels Supreme Pie Awards in 1996. While there had been a smaller pie competition, the NZ Bakels goal was to run an independent competition where any bakery could enter without restricting entry criteria.
Its goal: to bring into the limelight the many talented bakers across New Zealand. That goal remains unchanged today. Any baker/bakery can enter.
From those small beginnings in 1996 – 100 entries within five categories (Mince, Steak, Chicken, Bacon & Egg, and Apple Pie) – the competition took off evolving as it went to reflect changes in pie sales and tastes over the next 19 years. In 2012 Café Boutique joined the competition and in 2015 Seafood was replaced by Potato Top – the only category to be removed. Last year in excess of 5000 pies lined up among the 12 categories for inspection in the hope of being declared New Zealand Supreme Pie Award winner.
NZ Bakels managing director Brent Kersel says 2017 will be an interesting year for the competition. Year-on-year the standard of the pies is improving considerably. This has now become a very serious competition with enormous rewards for the winner; it has the potential to increase that bakery’s sales for years to come.
There has never been a Supreme winner from the South Island, nor has a female baker won the title. Could 2017 be the year when the NZ Supreme Pie Awards come of age?
The winning pie will earn its bakery stardom and sales beyond belief, as well as a cheque for $7500 and $1000 for all Gold Award winners, which will be presented at a gala dinner on August 1.
Pie Award Fun Facts
Gourmet and Café Boutique category fillings can be very creative with ingredients such as –
- Braised Alpaca
- Pork & Watercress
- Venison, Blackcurrants & Red Onion Jelly
- Pork Belly in Apple Cider & Bok Choy
- Beef Cheek, Apricots & Prunes
- Venison, Mushroom, Bacon & Cheese
- Turkey with Zesty Ginger & Lime
- Kale, Kumara, Courgette & Smoked Gouda
- Rabbit, Quince, Juniper Berries & Barley
- Mexican Pie – Mince & Chilli Mexican Beans
- Palusami Pie – Corned Beef
- Curried Goat Meat
- Toffee Apple Tart
- Cointreau, Pear, Apple & Cherry Cheesecake
- Cointreau Poached Pear with a Plum Custard
- Toffee Apple
- Toffee Caramel, Roast Apple & Pecan