Beef and Blue Cheese Pie
What a treat. Here’s a beautiful beef and blue cheese pie recipe which will change the way blue-cheese-haters look at the gorgeous food treat that is blue cheese. We use a sturdy Le Creuset casserole dish to create the pie filling. Perfect.
500g chuck steak, cut into evenly sized chunks
¼ cup plain flour
Dash of avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
1 small leek, halved and sliced
2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 cups beef stock
50g blue cheese
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg, beaten (we use Woodland Free Range)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celcius. In a bowl, place the flour and steak. Use your hands or a spoon to toss the beef in the flour.
- Heat a cast iron or baking dish on the stove to a medium temperature. Add a generous splash of the Olivado avocado oil, bring to temperature, then fry the pieces of steak until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Leave the remaining oil in the pan, and add the leek, celery and crushed garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until softened slightly, then lower the heat and stir in the tomato paste and worcestershire sauce, followed by the beef stock.
- Add the beef back into the dish, stir to combine, then cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the stew from the oven, then increase the oven temperature to 200 degrees celcius.
- Spoon the beef into a pie dish, then sprinkle the blue cheese over the top. Lay your pastry sheet over the top of the pie, pinching or folding/tucking in the edges to seal.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes towards the bottom of the oven, until golden brown and puffed.