This has been a family favourite at Christmas for many years, and it’s a luxurious twist on the classic trifle. Layers of creamy chocolate custard, morello cherries and brandy soaked chocolate muffins come together to create some true dessert magic!
Serves 8-10 Prep Time 30 Minutes
6 store bought chocolate muffins
1 jar morello cherry jam (We love Barkers of Geraldine)
1/2 cup cherry brandy (or normal brandy)
2 x 450g pots store bought vanilla custard (We love Puhoi Valley), room temperature
250g 50-60% dark chocolate, 200g melted
1tsp vanilla paste or extract
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- Remove the paper from the muffins, then roughly crumble into the base of a trifle bowl (not crumbling too finely). Spoon and spread 1/2 of the cherry jam over the muffins, then pour the brandy evenly over the top and leave to macerate for 15 minutes.
- Scoop the custard into a bowl, then whisk in the melted chocolate until combined*.
- Spoon the custard into the trifle bowl and spread evenly over the muffins and cherry mix. Spoon over the remaining cherry jam.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks with the vanilla, then spread over the top of the trifle. Refrigerate for minimum 2 hours.
- Just before serving, dust with cocoa powder and grate the remaining chocolate over the top.
*if the chocolate doesn’t incorporate fully, warm the custard mix slightly and whisk to combine. The custard should be chocolatey in colour but may still have small chocolate pieces.
Tip: To make this non-alcoholic, replace the brandy with 1/2 cup of liquid from canned plums, cherries or raspberries.