Custard Squares are very easy to make and everyone loves them. You’ll probably find all these ingredients in your pantry!
2 ½ cups milk
50g unsalted butter, cubed
75g custard powder
1 packet of Nice Biscuits or plain crackers (square or rectangle shape)
1 cup icing sugar
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
Lime/lemon rind grated
- In a small saucepan, mix custard powder and sugar. Add small amount of milk and stir with a whisk to completely amalgamate the powder. Pour rest of the milk and heat over medium heat and cook stirring continuously until the custard becomes very thick.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Mix well.
- Line a square/rectangular cake tin or dish with biscuits/crackers. (Put named side face up).
- Pour custard on the biscuits while still hot and place more biscuits on top layer. Set aside.
- Mix icing sugar and lime/lemon juice to make thick but spreadable icing. Pour and spread the icing on top layer of biscuits/crackers while the custard is still warm. Sprinkle with grated rind.
- Cover and refridgerate until set and cut into slices.
Tip: Top with generous amount of coconut if desired.