Chicken, Ham and Mushroom Pot Pies
This pie recipe is the perfect excuse to use up any leftover chicken or ham you may have in your fridge. Being a pot pie, you can freeze these individually in the ramekins to cook when needed.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 20-30 minutes Serves: 6
1/2 onion, diced
250g mushrooms, sliced (we love Meadow Mushrooms Chef’s Choice Medley)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
45g plain flour
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup creme fraiche
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 cup baby spinach
1 1/2 cups roughly diced cooked chicken meat
1 cup roughly diced ham off the bone
2 sheets store bought puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- In a deep frying pan or saucepan, melt the butter over a low to medium heat. Add the onion to the pan, and cook until softened. Next add the mushrooms and cook down until golden and soft.
- Stir the mustard into the mushroom mixture, followed by the flour. Stir constantly for two minutes, then add the stock and creme fraiche stirring until smooth and the sauce starts to thicken.
- Stir in the lemon juice, spinach, cooked chicken and ham to the mushroom mixture, and season to taste.
- Divide the mixture amongst 6 ramekins or place into a pie dish. Top with a pastry lid, egg wash if desired, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed, golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately.
If you want to make these pies to freeze, cool the pie mixture completely before placing into ramekins. Top with pastry then cover and freeze until desired.
These are perfect served with a fresh side salad and new Perla potatoes for a main meal.