Super Gingerbread Men
Gingerbread men have the potential to be so much more than just a biscuit. This Christmas, we challenge you and your family to transform the humble gingerbread man into a nutrient boosted superfood! A fun way to customise a holiday treat with a much-needed hit of omega-3 (ALA), protein and fibre.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Makes: 24 men
125g butter, soft
2/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup + extra if needed
2 ½ cup plain flour
1 tablespoon chia seeds
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup white chocolate buttons
- Pre heat oven to 180°C/160°C for fan forced oven.
- In an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add maple syrup and egg, beat until well combined.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, and cinnamon into the butter mixture, then add chia seeds.
- Using a wooden spoon mix all ingredients until just combined and a dough is formed. Use more maple syrup if needed to bring the dough together.
- Wrap in cling wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Flour your work surface again and roll out dough to about 5mm thick. Using a gingerbread man cutter, cut as many as you can and then repeat the step again until you have little or no dough left.
- Place the gingerbread men 2cm apart on your baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes. This is dependent on whether you want firm or soft gingerbread men.
- Take out of oven once done and allow to cool on rack.