Ultimate Crunchy Fried Chicken
There is nothing better than crispy, crunchy fried chicken, and this is a treat worth making! Finger licking good.
Prep Time: 24 Hours Cook Time: 15 Minutes Serves: 6
Size 16-20 whole free range chicken (we love Waitoa)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp whole peppercorns
1L warm water
5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
3 cups plain flour
1 tbsp of: paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder (we love Mrs Rogers)
Avocado cooking oil, to deep fry (we love Olivado)
- Cut the chicken into portions/pieces.
- In a deep container, stir together the sugar, salt, peppercorns, water and garlic cloves. Submerge the chicken pieces in the brine, and leave for a minimum of 12 hours*.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the brine and pat dry. Submerge the chicken pieces in buttermilk and leave for 3-4 hours.
- In a roasting dish or a deep vessel, combine the flour and seasonings. Toss well to combine. Pull the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour. Set aside for 5 minutes, then dredge a second time in the seasoned flour.
- Bring the oil to the heat in a deep fryer or deep saucepan. Fry the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Keep warm in the oven then serve immediately.