It will have us all in a tizz for a couple of days. Saying goodbye to time!? Autumn is here and New Zealand’s clocks have now gone back an hour. Although upside, for your diary, our clocks go forward again overnight on Sunday 30th September 2018.
So yes, lighter in the mornings and dark around 6pm, but Daylight Saving is a welcome addition to our year and truly a mark in the sand for us Kiwis. What better to mark the moment than a fantastic home cooked meal. Not so much steak on the BBQ… Instead it’s slow-cooked steak in the crockpot!
So get the kids off to bed early (yay, darker now and so much easier), crack a good red wine and sit back and enjoy this fantastic crockpot steak meal.
For Crockpot Steak, you will need:
- 600g chuck (ie. flank) steak, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 250g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- Fresh herbs to garnish
How to make Crockpot Steak:
- Place chuck steak and cornflour into a resealable plastic bag. Shake the bag to evenly coat the steak pieces with the flour. Set side for 10 minutes whilst you prepare other ingredients and get your crockpot out.
- Heat the rice bran oil in a large fry pan over a medium-high heat. Cook and stir steak until evenly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Turn on your crockpot. Place mushrooms, onion, garlic, chuck steak, green onions, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ginger, and hoisin sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on Low setting for about 4-5 hours.
- Serve the steak and gorgeous gravy sauce with cheesy mashed potato and fresh herbs. Delicious.