Tomato Soup with Pizza Bread
This recipe takes soup to a completely new level; a rich, creamy tomato soup flavoured with garlic and basil, served alongside pizza bread dippers. You’ll be back for thirds!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cooking Time: 60 Minutes Serves: 6-8
2 cups fresh tomatoes (we love Beekist)
Extra virgin olive oil (we love Olivado)
1 onion, finely diced
2 tsp minced garlic + 1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp chilli flakes or smoked paprika
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (we love Wilcox)
250ml vegetable stock
1 tin whole tomatoes (we love Delmaine)
1 cup fresh basil
½ cup cream
1 large pizza base (we love Gianni’s)
1 cup grated cheese (we love Meadow Fresh)
We cooked our soup in the Le Creuset Casserole Dish.
- On a lined or non-stick baking tray, roast the fresh tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil at 200 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes (size dependant) or until they are golden and blistered. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring a generous drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions have softened. Stir in the oregano and chilli flakes, then followed by the potatoes.
- Pour in the vege stock, whole tomatoes, roasted tomatoes and basil and stir. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
- To make the pizza bread, drizzle the pizza bread with olive oil. Spread over the garlic then sprinkle with the oregano and grated cheese. Bake at 220 degrees celsius or until bake until golden. Remove from the oven and cut into slices.
- Serve the pizza bread alongside the hot soup.